A Scholarship for Women Pursuing a Degree in Education
The Junior League of Cleveland (JLC) Sustainer Council Scholarship application for the 2022 – 2023 Scholarship is now open. Click here for the application. The Sustainer Scholarship Fund Application, Personal Essay, and Letter of Recommendation must be postmarked or submitted electronically by April 29, 2022.
Who qualifies for our scholarship?
Applicants must be women pursuing a degree in Education.
- Applicants must be at least 17 years old; THERE IS NO AGE CAP
- Applicants must be permanent residents of one of the following Ohio Counties: Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Erie, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, or Trumbull
- Applicants attending a 4-year college or university must be within 2 years of graduating with her degree in Education
- The JLC’s Signature Initiative is improving the outcomes of young women aging out of foster care, students who have been placed in a foster care system are encouraged to apply
What types of assistance are available?
- $5000.00 per academic year, renewable for up to 2 academic years
- Funds to assist with the cost of tuition, books and/or program supplies at an accredited 2-year or 4-year college or university.
How are scholarship funds awarded?
- Funds will be awarded for the student’s use for her current or upcoming term of educational needs.
- The Junior League of Cleveland (JLC) will disburse the funds directly to the institution of the recipient’s choice.
How do applicants qualify for a scholarship?
- Applicants must complete the scholarship fund application (please see below)
- Applicants must submit a personal essay (please see below)
- Applicants must supply one letter of recommendation supporting the applicant that is sent to the JLC separately from the application (please see below)
Information and Applications
- Inquiries may be made to the Junior League of Cleveland Sustainer Scholarship Fund by calling (216) 231-6300 or by emailing [email protected]
- Members of the Junior League of Cleveland and their immediate families are not eligible
- Scholarship recipients must use funds to attend an established, accredited college or university (e.g., tuition/program fees, books, supplies)
- Funds may be used to pay current and upcoming tuition; they cannot be used to pay off loans
- Funds are disbursed directly to the educational institution
- Applicants may receive a phone call or email during the selection process requesting further information
- Applicants should keep a copy of all materials submitted to the Junior League of Cleveland
- Applicants should send only requested materials; no other materials will be considered
- Applicants may reapply if they have not been awarded a JLC scholarship in the past
Very Important Notes
- Applications may be submitted via postal mail or electronic mail; if submitting via postal mail, applications should be single-sided and paper-clipped together
- The application, personal essay, and letter of recommendation must be POSTMARKED or SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY by APRIL 29, 2022
- The Junior League of Cleveland Sustainer Scholarship Fund Committee will notify recipients by Monday, May 16, 2022
Junior League of Cleveland
Attn: JLC Sustainer Scholarship Fund Committee
3615 Superior Avenue E.
Building 44, Fourth Floor, Suite 4404C
Cleveland, OH 44106
*This inaugural scholarship is named in honor of past president Susan Larson who enjoyed an exceptional career as a Kindergarten teacher for 30 years.*